My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Québec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Put your body where your mouth is

In an article in today's Star , the issue of permanent residence is explored. The issue is that many PR cards are due to expire and those that hold them haven't spent the prerequisite amount of time in Canada since they were issued. The permanent residents in question aren't family class, but instead, skilled workers who, though issued their Canadian credentials, never took up permanent residency. Instead, the status served as a way to obtain subsidized educations for their children, or a safe landing for those who didn't wish to return to third-world countries after finishing stints with firms in countries where obtaining residency is much harder.

I am one who believes that those who are granted permanent residency in Canada should live in Canada and attempt to work in Canada. If they can't find work and want to work in another country, then give it up. I know it is hard for skilled workers to find work in their professsions in many cases - I have noted that fact many times in this blog. However, I believe coming to Canada should be about living in and contributing to the country, not about taking advantage of it. Hard to make a living in your profession - then use your voice in the country to work for change. Really want to work for change? Then live in Canada for three years and become a citizen - and vote!

It irks me to no end to know that there are those taking up valuable CIC resources who have no real intention of making Canada their home.

I understand it used to be the case that you had to be able to prove that you had spent half of each year in country in order to maintain your status. I actually don' t think that's too bad. My intention is to become a citizen. These matters of statehood should come with obligation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've been reading your blog for months now but never commented (since your first try to immigrate). I really really like it, and I only wish you would post more often.

    Thanks for the link to the article, I will read it right away! I think like you about trying hard and becoming a citizen to make a change. People shouldn't try for the permanent residence just for fun or for a change, they should do it only if they really mean to.

    ReplyDelete