My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Québec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Becoming a Torontonian

From the Urban Dictionary:

Torontonian
noun.

1. A person who resides in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

2. A gracious and tolerant sort of guy or gal who listens with Herculean patience and nothing but a sad sigh now and then as every ill-educated sheep-shagger, penniless cod-kisser, sexually confused lumberjack and soulless oil tycoon befouling the rest of the country badmouths him tirelessly because they don't have half the cool sh** that he does.

3. A person who starts feeling suicidal every year around the time of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

4. Someone who pays fully half of their income in taxes so that a bunch of miserable ingrates living in shacks can spend half the year on the dole, scratching their Molson muscles and bitching about how much they hate Torontonians.

5. A person who can find everything she needs within a twenty-minute walk or bike-ride from her front door.

6. A resident of the 416 area code, but mercifully not of the 905.

7. Someone who is too polite to tell his best friend, who lives in Vancouver, that, 'No, frankly I really don't wish I lived in Vancouver. Not everyone on the whole f***ing planet wants to live in Vancouver, for Christ's sake. Besides, your whole ****** drug-infested city's going to slide into the ocean some day, be it global warming, act of heavenly retribution, or one tremendous ****** earthquake. So there.'

That's what Urban Dictionary describes as someone from Toronto. I have a little gentler view. I feel like a Torontonian:

  • When I walk through a dense crowd on the sidewalk without bumping into anyone. 
  • When I can't decide between 15 places I'd like to go to for dinner. 
  • When I spend 10-minutes trying to figure out the best way to lock up my bike. 
  • When I have a choice of four arts events to attend on the weekend. 
  • When I help a tourist find their way in the city.
  • When I root for the Leafs on a Saturday night - no matter where they are in the standings.
  • When I have to decide between a rental car, a train, or a bus when making travel plans.
  • When I have to decide between four grocery stores, or the St. Lawrence Market when it's time to stock the shelves. 
  • When I'm out in the middle of the street in the middle of the night for Nuit Blanche.
Feeling like a Torontonian is a nice feeling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment