That's what was on my mind tonight. I thought about the things that I do while I wait for CIC to make a decision. Now these aren't just random things - they are things that I think are helping prepare me for the transition to living in Canada with my love. I hope they will help you too.
A lot of this can be done online. So, in no particular order...
- Locate and follow Canadian blogs
- Locate the news from your planned city of destination and follow it (see my earlier post on online newscasts from all over Canada)
- Read Canadian history books and books on Canadian culture and politics
- Learn about hockey, watch hockey, LOVE hockey
- Learn to skate
- Call your lawyer and let him know you are still alive
- Explore Canada with Google Earth
- Watch Rick Mercer and 22 Minutes episodes online
- Learn French
- Join Loon Lounge or other such community
- Listen to Stomping Tom, The Guess Who, BTO, The Philosopher Kings, BnL, Sloan, Kathleen Edwards, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell (anything but Nickelback!)
- Read McLean's
- Research jobs, cost of living, housing, cultural options in your destination city
- Make your landing list of "goods to follow"
- Save your money
- Try Maple Syrup
- Have a garage sale for crap you aren't taking with you
- Learn the words to "O'Canada" in French and English
- Develop a patient heart
- Say lots of prayers
That ought to keep you busy!