My eBook, How To Immigrate To Canada For Skilled Workers: The Authoritative Guide To Federal And Provincial Opportunities is available now on Amazon and other online retailers. Get your copy of the essential guide to Skilled Worker class applications today!

For Kindle
For iPad/iPhone
For Nook
For Kobo
For Sony eReader

Also available is my new eBook, "How To Immigrate To Canada In The Family Class: The Authoritative Guide Including Qu├ębec And Super Visa Opportunities". Get it at Amazon or the other e-retailers noted above.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Allan Thompson provides common law scenario

Star immigration reporter, Allan Thompson, in response to a reader inquiry outlined a strategy for couples to meet the requirements for a "common law" relationship under the CIC requirements for a permanent residence application in the family class. Let me break it down for you (paraphrased):
  1. Your partner enters Canada on a visitors visa (maximum 6-month period)
  2. Extend your partner's visitor visa (6-month extension)
  3. By the end of that period, you will meet the legal requirements for a common-law couple and you will be able to begin the process of sponsoring your partner under the family class from within Canada.
  4. Near the end of the 12 months, your partner should apply at the same time for an extension of his/her temporary resident permit and for permanent residence through the family class.
  5. As long as your partner continues to renew his/her temporary status while awaiting the processing of the permanent residence application, she will not be required to leave Canada.

Read Allan's article here

No comments:

Post a Comment