- Your partner enters Canada on a visitors visa (maximum 6-month period)
- Extend your partner's visitor visa (6-month extension)
- By the end of that period, you will meet the legal requirements for a common-law couple and you will be able to begin the process of sponsoring your partner under the family class from within Canada.
- Near the end of the 12 months, your partner should apply at the same time for an extension of his/her temporary resident permit and for permanent residence through the family class.
- As long as your partner continues to renew his/her temporary status while awaiting the processing of the permanent residence application, she will not be required to leave Canada.
Read Allan's article here